Monday 28 March 2011

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand." - 365 Project, Day 28

What is a landscape?  Admittedly, a simple question, and no doubt some of the more smarmy individuals would have a pleasant time answering this in equally smarmy ways.  I only ask because I find it, in my urban environment, quite a challenge to emulate the likes of, say, Ansel Adams (and to be fair, even if I were in the middle of Yosemite, I still wouldn't be able to emulate him very well, but you understand me).  I can easily climb to elevations of 150 feet - I only have to look out my window for that - but missing are the vast expanses of valleys and brush.  Instead, up to my horizon I see nothing but streetlights and houses; canyons are replaced by streets and the various animals are replaced by Honda Civics and bus commuters.

I would love to grab a wide-angle lens, my camera, and travel to the forests of Northern Ontaio or the plateaus of the Great White North, but alas, I'm stuck travelling at ground level surrounded by coloured concrete and various metallic objects.  The city is my landscape and I have to make the best of it.  My experience of wide-angle lenses have brought me wide expanses of condos and side streets, malls and city parks to very satisfying results.  In front of the right camera and at the right angle, cityscapes can be just as vast, intense and awe-inspiring as any expanse of land or piece of territory.  The urban is my landscape.

On to today's pictures, which show nice variety and imagination.  I especially enjoy Mandy's picture today.

Frank

His note: The world is full of textures; they are everywhere.  Look up, look to the left, look to the right or look down, you will find some.  For this shot, I had to look down.

Mandy

Her note: Spiders scare me.  Spiders have big egos.

Shannon

No note from Shannon, but I will say that I'm fairly to curious to know what's in that park to make it worry free.

My picture

Walking home (again), this seemed like an innocuous shot, but I ended up really liking it, except for that annoying election poster on the top left.

Tomorrow will be another cold day in Ottawa, but hopefully every weather forecast source I've seen will be wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment