Monday 9 March 2015

The Last Day

If you live in the southern parts of the US, or on coasts, or any number of other places that aren't where I live, then this probably doesn't apply to you: there comes a time where the weather tells you you should stop for a little while.  Living in Ottawa (especially this winter) means there comes a time where going out to shoot some photographs becomes uncomfortable for your fingers (and possibly other parts of the anatomy, as well).  With the nice snowfalls we've had, it has been exceptionally pretty, though somehow the weather decided to stay at a relatively chilly -20 degrees Celcius during these times (and, to be honest, others), which doesn't occur too often. (Precipitation usually means a warmer climate is in effect.)

Walking in Snow

I've heard this winter has been the coldest since 1979; this has literally been the coldest in my life.  As much as I want to go outside and shoot, given how pretty it's been with the snow and sunshine, I care about my hands and my cameras.  I can get gloves for my hands, yes, but I can't warm up my camera.  Minus 20 degrees Celsius is still -20 degrees Celsius and, if possible, I'd prefer -20 degrees Celsius not pelting my camera sensor.

Small Walkway

Since the weather went ice-age levels of crispness, I've been out shooting once and the interaction with my colleague was more fun than the actual shooting.  I did get some nice shots and I don't regret shooting, I just would prefer if it were warmer.  On the plus side, it's now March and it's already warmed up, so I'm hoping to soon go outside without chance of frostbite, all the while confusing people as to why I'm taking pictures of them.

Blue Trees 4

I suppose I can always move to a place with a few more degrees over the course of the year, but that requires planning and moving and I'm too happy sharing my bed with my cat at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment